JOSEPH MARIE CASSIEN-BERNARD (1848-1926),... - Lot 95 - Lucien Paris

Lot 95
Got to lot
Estimation :
4500 - 4600 EUR
Result without fees
Result : 4 500EUR
JOSEPH MARIE CASSIEN-BERNARD (1848-1926),... - Lot 95 - Lucien Paris
JOSEPH MARIE CASSIEN-BERNARD (1848-1926), GASTON COUSIN (1859-1901)
Paris, Perspective of the Animated Alexandre III Bridge, December 1896
Drawing in ink, watercolor and ink wash, signed and dated lower left. Marouflé on cardboard.
Tear.
One of the flagship projects of the 1900 Universal Exhibition, the design of the bridge, intended to symbolize the Franco-Russian friendship,
was entrusted in 1895 to the engineers Jean Résal and Amédée Alby. They quickly concluded that only a single-span metal structure was feasible and submitted a
They quickly concluded that only a single-span metal structure was feasible and submitted a preliminary project in December 1895, well before the promulgation of a decree on October 5, 1896, which specified that the bridge should not
bridge should not hinder the circulation of river convoys, nor interfere with the view of the invalids from the Champs-Élysées,
nor distort the view of the Seine from the Concorde bridge.
At the end of 1896, the purely decorative part was entrusted to the architects Joseph Marie Cassien-Bernard, a student of Charles Garnier,
and Gaston Cousin, who took up their duties in March 1897.
The urban character of the building, which was used as a reference for the Universal Exhibition, led to the careful treatment of its decoration. The two architects
The two architects provided an abundance of decoration that allows us to verify Jean Résal's judgment: "It is our right, and in some cases our duty, to decorate
and to decorate works, on condition that they are not distorted: camouflage and make-up must be absolutely forbidden [...] Any measure that facilitates the clear understanding of
Any measure that facilitates the clear understanding of a work is good; any measure taken against this goal is bad.
The bridge is illuminated by 32 bronze candelabras made by the Lacarrière company, known for the monumental chandelier of the
the Garnier Opera House.
The first stone was laid on October 5, 1896 by Felix Faure, President of the French Republic and Nicolas II, Tsar of Russia.
The bridge was inaugurated on April 14, 1900 by Emile Loubet, President of the French Republic.
REFERENCES.
The National Archives have a drawing on tracing (CP/F/12/4445/M/1, room 3), similar to the one we present,
as well as some preparatory drawings.
60.8 x 93.3 cm.
My orders
Sale information
Sales conditions
Return to catalogue